Saturday 7 November 2015

Reproof

I think when we close ourselves off to reproof and correction, what we are actually doing is putting a pause on the growth of anything good in our life. It's stopping in the middle of the road. Settling for where we are at and embracing complacency and pride.

That's fairly simple to understand, but I'm often convicted of it. It's hard to receive correction. It's easy to get angry and prideful when we hear it, and sometimes when we hear it, part of the issue is that we're not really hearing a loving voice. Pride is a deep and ugly thing, because it often infects the voice of the corrector too.

When we talk about the crucial need we have to be open, and correct one another, be open to the idea that we all have pride inside of us that also wants to be correcting others, just as much as we don't want to be corrected. I mean, it feels nice to be right doesn't it? Who doesn't want to be the best at everything? "What a joyous day it is to wake up and humbly and slap some correction on everyone I see". Some times we actually get so caught up in it that we consider it our calling - to simply tell everyone else why they're wrong and never hear a word of reproof for ourselves.

At a more simplistic level, we are all hardwired to reinforce something we already believe to be correct, or to comfort ourselves that we're already in the right - rather than swallow those hard pills that may say we're in the wrong.

This topic is something you can't evade in the Proverbs, and in tons of other teachings throughout the bible. Here is a link to 33 different proverbs emphatically stressing the importance of reproof. In a famous verse, James tells us to "count it all joy" when we face hard times and are corrected, because that's what makes us strong.

The author of Hebrews takes it to a whole other level, discussing this matter in chapter 12:

 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? If God doesn’t discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all.  Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn’t we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever?

If you aren't receiving God's discipline as a child you are either "illegitimate" or "not really his children at all." That's a heavy hitter.

Communities of believers will choke if they are not a space where they trust one another enough to reprove each other.  Going back to something I said at the beginning, I think where accountability and trust fails can sometimes be because of a past hurt. People, parents, ministers, friends - many of us have experiences with loved ones condemning us and lashing out, rather than correcting us with love as a brother or sister.

And some of that pain that holds us back runs deep. So I don't want to just throw a verse at you or say "so PRAY about it and BE HEALED."

What I do want to say though, is that the God who wants to heal you is in the room with you as you read this. He has been on the journey through each scar you've received, and there is no one better at healing than He is. He knows you, your pains and past, intimately.

And as we grow through the difficult, frustrating and long process of prying ourselves open to correction more and more, we have to come to know God as the best Father ever, to really gain any trust. Pain from the past makes it hard to open up to correction like that, but no one is better at it than God Himself. He's the Father above all fathers, and He is yours, personally.

The last thing I want to say is that the process of opening up and growing in trust of God as a gentle, loving Father is something that is a massive victory for all other Christians around you. This process that has to do with things that are seriously personal and deep - will enable God to abound in those around you as well. I hope that isn't an extra burden to carry, but rather an perspective that is an encouragement.

By each of us coming to really "count it all joy" and love reproof as we are exhorted to in the Proverbs, we learn to see the love and good in this. We learn to allow the accountability, reproof and correction that Jesus calls us to do in community with one another, to come about in an actual good and healthy way.

Matthew 18:15-16 - Jesus' words:

 “If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back. But if you are unsuccessful, take one or two others with you and go back again, so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses.
James 5:16

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.

The bible doesn't shut up about this topic for a reason, I think :)

3 comments:

  1. Jake thanks so much for this I really couldn't imagine my life with out our Heavenly Father my life was a mess before I came to understand how much Jesus loves me and those who he has placed in my life. And struggled so much with trying to find myself in the eyes of God.
    The other day I really had a god moment and I just had to share this it was on my heart for awhile until I had time to myself.
    For sometime I struggled with accepting that I had a disability and how I needed to learn how to deal with this. People always made fun of me because I have a disability it bothered me so much and it was a constant thing that made me so angry because their was no way I could change it. All the time I was constantly angry at my biological parents for what they did to me. It took me months to years to even forgive them I couldn't express how I felt or share my story. Long time of talking about it in sessions then did I learn how to trust people I was so broken my life was In shamble I thought the world was coming to an end. In my journey and well I to my teens was when I realized how much Jesus loves me and it took six years of working at camp that I truly was aoustounded by the wonders on the creations of our Heavenly Father did for me to enjoy. And what I was once was is something totally new and transformed and the only one who can do that is God
    Thanks for being their for me in hard time Jake it means a lot thanks bro
    WHERE ARE YOU TODAY



    What has Jesus done for you
    I know for me I had a lot of hurt and pain and we all do at sometime in our life . I had moments were my family and I thought I wouldn't be able to live on my own without support what we thought wasn't possible was turned around by God and made it possible. As an adult living with a disability and dependent on support around me from the people in my life who make it possible for me to have this I also couldn't do it with out God in my life too .Don't try to do things on your own we all need that someone in our life to help and push us through easy or very difficult times we need that person to counsel us and build up when we're down.Having a support 
 system in my life from family and amazing friends I don't ever regret having all of you apart of my life so blessed. Sometimes we worry and depend on what we mentally think and say about our selves and we worry so much then it's before you know it.... It's grasping your life to the point you can't do anything about. Have you ever had a feeling that you wanted to do and change something that happened or you wished you could change . But in reality we can't change the past we can only look ahead for what tomorrow brings whenever it rains or the sun is shinning that's what we need to focuse on for the things we look forward to are the things that are shaping what our future looks like until the end when we are altogether one day and someday soon.The younger people in our lives paper our future we need to support and be the best examples of a Christ like image for these are the children you gifted us with to love and cherish.If God can change the world by making something from nothing into a world that we can explore and find adventures that await us.When we are fulfilled by the Holy Spirit their will be no warning it will just come all sudden.peter stood in front of large crowds spreading gods word to aching and painful hearts seeking gods grace and mercy. Transformational worship is very personal it's something that we must experience in ourselves as we worship the lord. we can't
    experience the transforming power of the Holy Spirit it's something that you have to work through with God.
    Transformation can also take place together. As we experience gods
    transformational power as the body of Christ,were able to worship more freely with each other.Its the power of Christ working in our lives both individually

    ReplyDelete