Friday 4 August 2017

Cosmic Treasure

When the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3:4-7
As I look back at the blogs I've written here, and the drafts that sit unfinished, you discover a theme of what I've been working out in my faith over the past few years.

I sat for a while yesterday and today thinking about the final sentence in this passage above: being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 

Reading the bible is helpful because it pushes me from complacency. It's a hard book to read and believe that Christians are just regular people who are fearfully obeying 2000 year old rules in hopes of not going to hell afterwards.

I think God's heart breaks for us and the box we put Him in sometimes. We were meant to live like we have become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. His heart breaks for His created children who were meant to be prophets, priests and kings with Him in His family forever, and never know it. Who keep on keeping on because this sentence has never been made "real" inside of them. It just remains words on a page.

So I share this section of the Bible that stood out to me because it forces me to ask the question: Do I live like this? Do I believe and live like I'm an heir according to the hope of eternal life because of the mercy of God in Jesus? If you're like me and the answer is "nope" or "definitely not always" (maybe your answer is "what in the world are you talking about") - I think we've got some treasure to discover yet.
The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure that a man discovered hidden in a field. In his excitement, he hid it again and sold everything he owned to get enough money to buy the field.
Matthew 13:44

 


No comments:

Post a Comment